Sunday, January 4, 2009

First Feedback ...

I've received a good deal of feedback already to the creation of this blog. Much more than I actually expected at first.

My first email was from someone in Arlington who has a good amount of knowledge in terms of the traditional Mass and who wished this blog well. He also had some good words of caution as well.

His advice was to not get hung up on what we "prefer" in the liturgy -- but what are actually abuses. And he's right. While I would never go to the novus ordo, I would also not expect someone to write me complaining about altar "girls" or lay readers. That's allowed, folks. Don't like it? Go to the traditional Mass and you'll never have to worry about it.

Now, if you write me and tell me there's a lay reader who is preaching the homily instead of the priest -- now we're cooking with gas! And, if we document it here, we can go to the bishop with it -- publicly -- and demand action be taken.

So get your accounts of liturgical abuse, whether in the old rite or the novus ordo, into me at gravitas3@yahoo.com and I'll be sure to post them.

P.S.: A few people have questioned the anonymity part of this. Why do I go by Gravitas Catholica and not my real name? Well, did anyone ask Samuel Clemens why he had to go by Mark Twain? Or why so many bloggers don't use their real names? It's simple -- I don't want people at my work to think I'm some traditional freak and, quite frankly, who cares what my name is? How does it lend to the work I'm trying to do?

I would argue that those who would like to focus on who I am are really trying to ignore the greater purpose of this effort. And that's sad, but I can't worry about those people. I have a greater purpose.

So get in your stories and let's get going. And, remember, these do not have to be ripe -- they could have happened a month or two ago. If they were happening then, they'll most likely happen again.

And, of course, your name will never be used. And that goes for layman or priest.

God bless.

1 comment:

  1. This is great!

    I go to a traditional Mass that is well done but I have friends at the NO Mass that are always complaining. Hopefully they'll write in soon.

    ReplyDelete